St. Sinian's, Tyrellspass

Originally known as Ballykilmore, (Baile Cill Mhór or “Town of the Big Church”) the village changed its name to Tyrrellspass in the early 1770’s. The Church of St Sinian’s in the Tullamore Union of Parishes is dedicated to a saint of whom little known, and whose name may have been Senian, Sinnian or Sinnach. The church building was completed in 1793, its prominent position overlooking The Green with its crescent of houses, developed by Lady Jane, Countess of Belvedere, in the early 1800’s. In 1823 she extended the church and added the steeple, and with government aid built the Protestant Parochial School, which now serves as the Parish Hall.