St. Catherine's, Tullamore

 width= The town of Tullamore, home of the Tullamore Union of Parishes, was up to the close of the seventeenth century, a small town made up almost entirely of thatched houses and cabins. Phoenix-like, Tullamore was rebuilt after a fire in 1785, caused by a hot air balloon crashing on the town! In the early eighteenth century the mother of the first Lord Tullamore built a protestant chapel in an area of the town known as “The Shambles”. It was not until 1818 that the present parish church of St. Catherine’s was built on the ‘tulloch’ or hill after which the town is named. So prominent is the Church, that it can be seen from every road entering Tullamore.