St. Brigids, Clara

Clara, like Tullamore, began life as part of the larger Parish of Kilbride-Langan. According to local tradition, before the present church was built, services were held in a thatched building in Church Street, from which the street took its name. St. Brigid’s (also at some time known as St. Mary’s) was built in 1770 and, like Tyrrellspass, it overlooks the town’s green. It wasn’t until 1870 that Clara became an independent Parish. At the turn of the century the then ‘Clara Union of Parishes’ incorporating Lemanaghan (Ballycumber) and Ardnurcher, was incorporated into the Tullamore Union of Parishes.